India`s breeder reactor to be commissioned in 2013
New Delhi: India plans to commission the first-of-its-kind Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) early next year, kickstarting the second stage of its nuclear
The 500 MWe reactor, being developed by the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu, uses a unique mix of uranium and plutonium which significantly enhances the capability to generate electricity per tonne of fuel utilised.
The indigenously-developed PFBR is at an advanced stage of construction under the aegis of state-owned Bhartiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam (BHAVINI).
"The construction will be completed by September and fuel will be lowered by December. We expect commissioning by early 2013," IGCAR director SC Chetal said here.
The technology developed by scientists at IGCAR was unique and the Indian PFBR would be the first such nuclear plant to be commissioned.
Some other countries, including Korea, are also developing fast breeder reactors but they may be commissioned only in 2025.
India plans to have at least five more 500 MW fast breeder reactors by 2020, two of which could be set up at Kalpakkam.
Critics of the breeder reactors cite high costs for such plants, particularly for reprocessing the spent fuel.
"Breeder reactors are costly and unreliable. Reprocessing of plutonium is more costly than storing spent fuel," according Frank von Hippel, Professor at Princeton University and co-chair of International Panel on Fissile Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information