India`s nuclear programme is largely indigenised
Chennai: Designing and building pressurised heavy water reactors (PHWR) and fast breeder reactors Indian nuclear programme is largely indigenised, said a top official of Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd (BHAVINI).
He said nuclear power is an alternate source of energy to satisfy the increasing demands of the country.
Speaking at a function held in Jerusalem College of Engineering here, Prabhat Kumar, chairman and managing director said: "India`s nuclear programme is indigenised and it did not buckle even after it was isolated by advanced countries."
He said the confidence and determination shown by the Indian nuclear scientists, with active support from the government the country overcame the sanctions and is now in the process of building fast breeder reactors.
Fast breeder reactors are the ones that breed more fuel when nuclear fission happens than what it consumes.
He stressed the importance of India`s three stage nuclear power programme - first stage PHWR, second being fast breeder reactors and the third involves building thorium reactors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read