Inflation should be controlled: Rangarajan
Karaikudi: Observing that the Indian economy was passing through a critical situation, Prime Minister`s Economic Advisor C Rangarajan today said government is taking steps to rectify it.
"The country`s economy is passing through a critical situation, the growth rate is slow, and inflation high. This has to be rectified, the Chairman of PM`s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) said, adding, government was taking steps in this direction.
He stressed the need to control inflation and stabilise government`s revenue.
Participating at the convocation of the Alagappa University here, he also stressed the need for increasing coal production, and a strong economic policy.
Stating that the economic crisis in 1991 had sown the seeds for new economic policy,he said "The present economic growth is only due to the new economic policy,as it removed all the hurdles in the way of economic growth."
The ratio of contribution of Government and Private sector had been redrafted.Since 1992-93 the annual economic growth had been at 6.9 per cent.Despite global crisis,economic growth touched 8.4 per cent in 2009-10,he said.
Though the growth of agricultural sector was good in 2011-12,the production was disappointing as the investment in the farm sector was low, he said.Besides, production of coal and and minerals were also low.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery