Inquiry ordered into SPG`s denial to DGP to enter airport
Tiruchirapalli: An inquiry has been ordered into the reported denial of permission to the Tamil Nadu DGP by an official of Prime Minister`s Special Protection Group to enter the VVIP area at the airport here on Friday.
Official sources said state Protocol officer Anu George has been asked to inquire into the incident, assisted by local police officials, and file a report.
The SPG official, who prevented the DGP from entering the VVIP area, has also been asked to explain why the state`s top police official was prevented from coming into the airport to welcome Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, they said.
The sources said 10 persons, including Chief Secretary Sheila Balakrishnan, DGP Ramanujam,Police Commissioner Shylesh Kumar Yadav, Mayor Jaya, Kumar, MP, Collector Jayasree, Governor Rosiah, and Ministers O Panneerselvam, Senthil Balaji, Poonachi, had been given permission to welcome the Prime Minister.
The DGP got delayed as he waited for others to be checked and when his turn came, the SPG official stopped him and told him that only those with passes could enter, the sources said.
The SPG official refused to budge even after Shylesh Kumar Yadav pointed out that Ramanujam is DGP, following which he went back to the VIP room.
Meanwhile, top SPG officials, who got wind of what happened, apologised to the DGP and persuaded him to come out and welcome Singh. But the PM had already left by then by helicopter to Thirumayam near this city to inaugurate BHEL`s power plant piping unit and Unit-II High Pressure Boiler Plant, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31