Interim injunction on allowing people to run shops on Marina Beach
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday granted an interim injunction restraining authorities from allowing people to continue business and run shops and eateries on the entire stretch of the famous Marina Beach here.
The First Bench, comprising the acting Chief Justice Elipe Dharma Rao and Justice Aruna Jagadeesan, passed the order on a PIL filed by advocate K Balaji, who is the president of `Gandhiji Consumer Forum.`
The bench admitted the petition and posted the matter for further hearing after four weeks.
Balaji contended that the Marina, which was the second longest beach in the world, was the dirtiest in the world today as it was in a "pathetic" and "shabby" condition and foreign tourists were afraid of visiting it.
Several shops and vendors had been allowed to do business all over the beach. Shops in temporary structures and merry-go-round were permanently there. Failure to implement the Food Safety and Standard Act had allowed all sorts of unhygienic food to be sold, it was contended.
The petitioner said he had sent representations to the authorities this month but it had not been considered till date and hence he has filed the present petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured