IPS officer surrenders in dowry case
Chennai: An IPS officer on Monday surrendered in a court here, more than two months after the Supreme Court cancelled his anticipatory bail and directed him to surrender before the trial court in dowry and woman harassment case.
R V Varun Kumar appeared before the XIth Metropolitan Magistrate Court and surrendered in the case which is being investigated by the anti-dowry cell of the Chennai city police.
After magistrate Shanthi remanded Varun Kumar for 15 days in judicial custody, the defence counsel filed a bail petition even as the anti-dowry cell filed a plea seeking custody of the accused for a week.
While the bail plea was adjourned to April 30, hearing on the police petition seeking custody was posted to April 29.
However, seeking an early hearing on the bail petition, Kumar`s counsel filed an advance petition praying the court to hear the bail petition today itself which was dismissed. Soon after, Varun was arrested and taken to the Puzhal prison.
The IPS officer was accused of several charges including dowry harassment by his former girlfriend. According to her, he had allegedly promised to marry her.
They prepared for the civil services examination together. The attitude of Varun, however, changed after he was selected for the IPS in 2011.
He and his parents allegedly demanded dowry of two kg gold, Rs 50 lakh and a luxury car. They refused to conduct the marriage if the demand was not fulfilled.
Subsequently, a complaint was lodged by the girl and Kumar got anticipatory bail from Madras High Court which was cancelled by the apex court on February 14.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success