Iraqi woman recovers vision after 18 years
Chennai: A city-based private eye hospital has successfully operated and recovered vision in the left eye of a 40-year old Iraq woman, 18 years after she suffered severe injuries in a bomb blast in her country.
Gula Namiq Hassan, then 22, was baking bread, when she heard a loud sound, which was actually a bomb that exploded near her in the town of Sulaymaniyah in Iraq in 1994.
"She was operated on both eyes in Iraq in 1994 but her right eye could not be saved. She had little vision in the left," Dr Amar Agarwal of Dr Agarwal`s Eye Hospital told reporters here.
Referred to this hospital by a Iraqi doctor, Hassan came here last July for a check up and arrived here again on May 25 last for the operation, her brother-in-law Mohammad said.
"I performed vitrectomy and the thick membrane which was blocking light from entering the eye removed. As there was no support to place the IOL, I used the glued IOL technique. Now, she can read, distinguish colours and shades," Agarwal said, detailing the near two-hour operation.
An elated Hassan, conversant only in Khurdish, can now read alphabets in English and also identify the colour of her post operation tablets and take them accordingly.
The mother of two children - son Mohammed (8) and daughter Rayyan (4) presently in Iraq, is looking forward to see them for the first time.
Hassan would leave for Iraq in the next few days.
Chennai, known as the Mecca of Medical Tourism, continues to attract patients from abroad, especially from West Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule