It is open to govt to take necessary action on aci
Chennai: Madras High Court today observed it was open to the governments to take necessary action about the over-the-counter (OTC) sale of acid.
Justice N Kirubakaran made the observation when a petition by an NGO seeking a ban on the acid sale in the light of the death of two young women in acid attacks came up for hearing.
Advocate General A Navaneethakrishnan produced Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s press note about a bill to be passed in the coming Assembly budget session to regulate sale of acid.
Additional Solicitor General P Wilson produced a February 11 last Union Home Ministry letter to all state Home Secretaries about a meeting over the enactment of appropriate provision for effective regulation of sale of acid in the states and Union Territories.
When Wilson said a similar petition by one Laxmi was pending in Supreme Court, Justice Kirubakaran said this court would like to peruse the affidavit filed by the petitioner to verify whether the issue before the two courts were the same.
"Meanwhile, it is open to the appropriate governments to take necessary action in their discretion," he said and posted the matter for March 13 for their response.
Petitioner Shanthi, state co-ordinator of Erode-based Citizens For Human Rights Movement had prayed for a direction to seek enforcement of the Explosives Act by banning unlicensed over-the-counter acid sale with immediate-effect and a direction to prosecute acid-vendors in acid attack cases being prosecuted by the authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head