IUML claims credit for patching up DMK-Congress differences
Chennai: Indian Union Muslim League(IUML),
a constituent of the DMK-led alliance in the poll-bound Tamil
Nadu, on Wednesday claimed credit for patching up differences between
the ruling party and the Congress on seat-sharing deal, citing
its `generosity` by giving up a seat for the national party.
Stating that the Congress-DMK alliance had been on
`the verge of collapse` over seat sharing, IUML national
president E Ahamed said his party was approached by
well-wishers of both parties to `intervene` at a crucial
"In consultations with my party colleagues in Tamil
Nadu, I tried my best to patch up the differences. With the
generosity of my colleagues in the state, I was able to do so
and overcome the impasse," he said in a statement from Delhi
Ahamed said his party had always tried to maintain the
unity and strengthen secular forces "in the best interest of
After days of hard-bargaining, DMK gave away a seat
from its own quota and took one each from allies PMK and IUML,
which were earlier allotted 31 and three seats, to satisfy the
Congress, which had raised its demand for 63 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!
- Kareena is part of 'Veere Di Wedding': Sonam Kapoor
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar
- INSIDE DELHI METRO: Is this what happens to men who enter ladies coach? WATCH