IUML claims credit for patching up DMK-Congress differences
Chennai: Indian Union Muslim League(IUML),
a constituent of the DMK-led alliance in the poll-bound Tamil
Nadu, on Wednesday claimed credit for patching up differences between
the ruling party and the Congress on seat-sharing deal, citing
its `generosity` by giving up a seat for the national party.
Stating that the Congress-DMK alliance had been on
`the verge of collapse` over seat sharing, IUML national
president E Ahamed said his party was approached by
well-wishers of both parties to `intervene` at a crucial
"In consultations with my party colleagues in Tamil
Nadu, I tried my best to patch up the differences. With the
generosity of my colleagues in the state, I was able to do so
and overcome the impasse," he said in a statement from Delhi
Ahamed said his party had always tried to maintain the
unity and strengthen secular forces "in the best interest of
After days of hard-bargaining, DMK gave away a seat
from its own quota and took one each from allies PMK and IUML,
which were earlier allotted 31 and three seats, to satisfy the
Congress, which had raised its demand for 63 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'