Jagan meets Jaya, Karuna on bifurcation of AP
Chennai: Continuing his campaign to drum up support for a united Andhra Pradesh, YSR Congress chief Jaganmohan Reddy on Wednesday met the top two political leaders of Tamil Nadu--Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi.
Reddy, a staunch supporter of united Andhra Pradesh, called on the Chief Minister at the Secretariat here in the company of some of his party leaders and held discussions for about 30 minutes while he met Karunanidhi at his Gopalapuram residence later in the day.
Speaking to reporters at Gopalapuram, Reddy said while he had sought to prevail upon the leaders to amend Article 3 of the Constitution of India, it was upto them to decide on that issue.
"Today it is Andhra, tomorrow it could be their state. Everyone who believes in democracy should support this cause (of a united Andhra Pradesh state)," he said.
Article 3 deals with the "formation of new states and alteration of areas, boundaries or names of existing states."
He claimed that the next year`s Lok Sabha polls would be a "referendum" on the bifurcation issue.
Challenging the Congress on this matter, he said "we will win 30 seats and decide the next Prime Minister of India."
The YRS Congress leader had earlier called on the Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Odisha, Mamata Banerjee and Naveen Patnaik to make his case for a united Andhra Pradesh even as it is unclear whether a bill for creation of separate Telangana would be brought in the winter session of Parliament, commencing tomorrow.
Earlier, traffic movement was also affected in some parts of the city as Reddy moved in a convoy of cars, especially outside the airport while greeting his supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves