Jail authorities oppose Nalini`s request for one month leave
Chennai: Authorities of Vellore jail today opposed the request of Nalini, a life RPT life convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, for grant of one month leave to visit her ailing father saying political parties will try to meet her and "utilise" this situation.
The Prison Superintendent in a reply in this regard before
the Madras High Court said the Inspector concerned and the Probation Officer have not recommended the leave, citing the reason that political parties would try to meet her and try to utilise this position in the area where her father was living.
He said the area, where her father was staying, is surrounded by hills and because of the oncoming Lok Sabha elections, political parties would try to meet her and gain political mileage, which would create a law and order problem.
He said field enquiries revealed that the health condition of Nalini`s father was normal and his elder son and daughter -in-law were taking care of him. So her averment that her father was ill was incorrect and false.
The Superintendent submitted that Nalini`s leave petition was not accompanied with two sureties which was mandatory for granting Ordinary leave, as per Tamil Nadu Suspension of Sentence rules 1982. Hence he prayed that the court dismiss her plea.
Nalini, currently lodged in the special prison for women at Vellore, had filed a petition in the high court seeking a direction to the prison authorities to grant her one month ordinary leave to serve her ailing father.
The High Court had directed prison authorities to file a reply on the above petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof