Jaya accepts Karuna challenge for open debate on Cauvery
Arani (TN): AIADMK supremo and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Tuesday accepted the gauntlet thrown by her archrvial DMK president M Karunanidhi for an open debate on the Cauvery issue, saying she was prepared to face him in the state Assembly.
Repeatedly charging Karunanidhi with betraying the state on the emotive inter-state river water-sharing dispute with Karnataka, Jayalalalithaa said the DMK patriarch should make up his mind on accepting her challenge and announce it publicly "lest he himself accepts that he had betrayed" the people, she said.
Addressing an election rally here, she recalled that Karunanidhi had in a recent public meeting at Tiruvarur asked if the two could debate the issue in the assembly.
"I accept Karunanidhi`s challenge. I am ready to discuss the Cauvery issue in the next assembly session to be convened after the Lok Sabha elections. I am ready to list out Karunanidhi`s betrayals," she said.
The Chief Minister laid down a condition that only Karunanidhi should face her and not his trusted deputy Duraimurugan or some other representative.
"Is Karunanidhi ready to accept this? Is he ready to come to the assembly? Is he ready to debate with me directly? He should declare whether he accepts this or not. Or else it would amount to him admitting that it is true that betrayals were done (by him)," she said.
The "betrayals" of the DMK chief led government included allowing Karnataka to construct dams across the river besides not taking steps for publishing the final award of the Cauvery Tribunal in the Central gazette, she charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs