Jaya announces 5 AIADMK nominees for six RS seats
Chennai: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Monday announced five of her party nominees for the June 27 biennial election to the six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, giving V Maithreyan a successive term.
Maithreyan, chief of AIADMK`s Medical wing, is one of the six MPs from the state whose term expires by July 27. The others are AIADMK`s A Elavarasan, Kanimozhi and Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK), B S Gnanadesikan (Congress) and CPI`s D Raja.
According to party release, the other four nominees announced by Jayalalithaa are -- K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, Dr R Lakshmanan and S Saravanaperumal.
Of the five AIADMK candidates, the ruling party is assured of netting four seats on its own by virtue of its 151-member strength in Tamil Nadu Assembly, whose total strength is 234.
Thirty four first preference votes are required for a candidate to be declared elected.
The Jayalalithaa-led party is likely to woo legislators from other parties, including six dissident DMDK MLAs besides smaller allies like MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam to win the fifth seat.
AIADMK may also woo CPI (eight MLAs), as the two have been on good terms inside and outside the Assembly.
Jayalalithaa not nominating a member for the sixth vacancy has opened up an interesting set of calculations.
Speculations are already rife that main opposition DMDK with 29 members (including the six dissidents) and DMK (23 MLAs) could go in for a consensus candidate though neither of them have announced any decision so far.
Congress has five MLAs while PMK has three.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read