Jaya announces 5 AIADMK nominees for six RS seats
Chennai: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Monday announced five of her party nominees for the June 27 biennial election to the six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, giving V Maithreyan a successive term.
Maithreyan, chief of AIADMK`s Medical wing, is one of the six MPs from the state whose term expires by July 27. The others are AIADMK`s A Elavarasan, Kanimozhi and Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK), B S Gnanadesikan (Congress) and CPI`s D Raja.
According to party release, the other four nominees announced by Jayalalithaa are -- K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, Dr R Lakshmanan and S Saravanaperumal.
Of the five AIADMK candidates, the ruling party is assured of netting four seats on its own by virtue of its 151-member strength in Tamil Nadu Assembly, whose total strength is 234.
Thirty four first preference votes are required for a candidate to be declared elected.
The Jayalalithaa-led party is likely to woo legislators from other parties, including six dissident DMDK MLAs besides smaller allies like MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam to win the fifth seat.
AIADMK may also woo CPI (eight MLAs), as the two have been on good terms inside and outside the Assembly.
Jayalalithaa not nominating a member for the sixth vacancy has opened up an interesting set of calculations.
Speculations are already rife that main opposition DMDK with 29 members (including the six dissidents) and DMK (23 MLAs) could go in for a consensus candidate though neither of them have announced any decision so far.
Congress has five MLAs while PMK has three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!