Jaya announces 5 AIADMK nominees for six RS seats
Chennai: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Monday announced five of her party nominees for the June 27 biennial election to the six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, giving V Maithreyan a successive term.
Maithreyan, chief of AIADMK`s Medical wing, is one of the six MPs from the state whose term expires by July 27. The others are AIADMK`s A Elavarasan, Kanimozhi and Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK), B S Gnanadesikan (Congress) and CPI`s D Raja.
According to party release, the other four nominees announced by Jayalalithaa are -- K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, Dr R Lakshmanan and S Saravanaperumal.
Of the five AIADMK candidates, the ruling party is assured of netting four seats on its own by virtue of its 151-member strength in Tamil Nadu Assembly, whose total strength is 234.
Thirty four first preference votes are required for a candidate to be declared elected.
The Jayalalithaa-led party is likely to woo legislators from other parties, including six dissident DMDK MLAs besides smaller allies like MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam to win the fifth seat.
AIADMK may also woo CPI (eight MLAs), as the two have been on good terms inside and outside the Assembly.
Jayalalithaa not nominating a member for the sixth vacancy has opened up an interesting set of calculations.
Speculations are already rife that main opposition DMDK with 29 members (including the six dissidents) and DMK (23 MLAs) could go in for a consensus candidate though neither of them have announced any decision so far.
Congress has five MLAs while PMK has three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy