Jaya announces 5 AIADMK nominees for six RS seats
Chennai: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Monday announced five of her party nominees for the June 27 biennial election to the six Rajya Sabha seats from Tamil Nadu, giving V Maithreyan a successive term.
Maithreyan, chief of AIADMK`s Medical wing, is one of the six MPs from the state whose term expires by July 27. The others are AIADMK`s A Elavarasan, Kanimozhi and Tiruchi N Siva (both DMK), B S Gnanadesikan (Congress) and CPI`s D Raja.
According to party release, the other four nominees announced by Jayalalithaa are -- K R Arjunan, T Rathinavel, Dr R Lakshmanan and S Saravanaperumal.
Of the five AIADMK candidates, the ruling party is assured of netting four seats on its own by virtue of its 151-member strength in Tamil Nadu Assembly, whose total strength is 234.
Thirty four first preference votes are required for a candidate to be declared elected.
The Jayalalithaa-led party is likely to woo legislators from other parties, including six dissident DMDK MLAs besides smaller allies like MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam to win the fifth seat.
AIADMK may also woo CPI (eight MLAs), as the two have been on good terms inside and outside the Assembly.
Jayalalithaa not nominating a member for the sixth vacancy has opened up an interesting set of calculations.
Speculations are already rife that main opposition DMDK with 29 members (including the six dissidents) and DMK (23 MLAs) could go in for a consensus candidate though neither of them have announced any decision so far.
Congress has five MLAs while PMK has three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday