Jaya announces freebies for school students
Chennai: In a bid to increase enrolment and check school dropouts, particularly in villages, Tamil Nadu Government on Wednesday announced a slew of freebies, including free footwear and bags to the students, and allocated about Rs 491 crore.
The Government will provide two more sets of uniforms to
the students of Class 1 to 8 in addition to the existing two
sets from 2012-13 academic year, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa
Boys from class six and above would now get full-pants
instead of half pants, while girls will be given `salwar
Nearly 47 lakh students would get the benefit.
The government would incur an expenditure of Rs 259.95
crore on providing the new uniforms, the Chief Minister said.
She also ordered to provide footwear to 81 lakh students
at a cost of about Rs 94 crore.
Besides, nearly 92 lakh students would also receive
uniform school bags, geometry box and colour pencil boxes and
the government would incur an expenditure of about Rs 136
crore, she said.
To encourage students belonging to Backward Class,
Most Backward and Denotified Communities to excel in studies,
the prize money for class ten and 12 toppers at district level
have also been increased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary