Jaya announces sops for Cauvery delta farmers
Chennai: In view of the ensuing long-term Samba crop season, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Tuesday announced an additional subsidy of Rs 17.10 crore to farmers of Cauvery Delta region, taking the total to over Rs 70 crore in this regard.
Jayalalithaa had earlier allotted Rs 53.53 crore towards various sops and subsidies for farmers to take up the Samba crop in the Cauvery Delta region, whose prospects had initially looked bleak in the wake of low water levels at the Mettur Dam.
Among today`s sops, she said farmers will be provided with 30 kg of sample seeds per acre for direct sowing with a Rs 10 subsidy and also announced increasing the acreage for certain other farm subsidies.
Due to these measures, the government will incur an additional expense of Rs 17.10 crore, and a total sum of Rs 70.63 crore had been allotted to Cauvery Delta farmers for Samba crop cultivation, she said in a statement here.
She had earlier announced releasing water from Mettur Dam from September 17, the first time in the year, as water was not released for the previous kuruvai (short-term) crop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America