Jaya announces welfare measures for Tamil refugees
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa on Saturday ordered extension of the government`s
comprehensive health insurance scheme to Sri Lankan Tamil
refugees and allocated Rs 25 crore for improving basic
facilities in the camps in the state where they are lodged.
She ordered extension of the scheme, presently available to
poor people of the state, as part of measures taken by her
government for the welfare of the Tamil refugees, an official
She also allocated Rs 4.33 crore for improving drinking
water supply and more than Rs 20.66 crore for repairing
houses, road works and for creation of library, ration shops
and sanitation facilities in the camps, it said.
The Chief Minister decided to grant a one-time grant of Rs
10,000 each to 416 women`s self help groups of the refugees,
setting apart Rs 41.60 lakhs.
Jayalalithaa has also ordered increase in the incentive
given to 1,000 students of the refugees families pursuing
higher studies which would cost the state exchequer Rs 20.98
lakh, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'