Jaya attacks DMK over safety of students
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday hit out at opposition DMK over safety of students in the state and referred to the clash among law students here during previous Karunanidhi-led government, charging the police of being mere silent spectators.
Intervening DMK member Govi Chezhiyan when he spoke about safety of students during his party`s regimes during a discussion in the assembly on the grants for Higher Education Department, she said "we all know how the DMK government safeguarded students."
Without mentioning the 2008 campus violence involving two groups of Dr Ambedkar Government Law College students, Jayalalithaa said, "the entire country saw on TV how their (DMK) government made one group of students attack another, while making police stand as silent spectators."
The affected students were severely injured, she added.
Meanwhile, responding to a question of delay in distribution of laptops to colleges students as promised in AIADMK`s manifesto made in 2011, Jayalalithaa said the problem was on the supply side.
With the suppliers, selected on the basis of tenders, sourcing hard-disks from Taiwan, the process had been affected severely due to recent floods there, she said.
"We intend to distribute laptops to all; we are prepared, but the supplying companies are not ready and they are doing it in a phased manner," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400