Jaya clears decks for Desika Vinayakam Pillai statue
Chennai: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday sanctioned Rs 10.80 lakh for installing a statue of emninent Tamil poet Kavimani Desika Vinayakam Pillai.
Jayalalithaa had informed the Assembly in May 2012 that a statue of the poet will be installed at Suseenthiram in Kanyakumari District.
According to a state government release today, the poet had strived for bringing Tamil-speaking areas of Travancore province under Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, she allocated Rs 25 lakh towards the renovation of the Kamaraj memorial here besides granting Rs 99 lakh for MGR Government Film and Television Training Institute towards renovation and procuring modern equipment, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon