Jaya clears decks for Desika Vinayakam Pillai statue
Chennai: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday sanctioned Rs 10.80 lakh for installing a statue of emninent Tamil poet Kavimani Desika Vinayakam Pillai.
Jayalalithaa had informed the Assembly in May 2012 that a statue of the poet will be installed at Suseenthiram in Kanyakumari District.
According to a state government release today, the poet had strived for bringing Tamil-speaking areas of Travancore province under Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, she allocated Rs 25 lakh towards the renovation of the Kamaraj memorial here besides granting Rs 99 lakh for MGR Government Film and Television Training Institute towards renovation and procuring modern equipment, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey issues warrants for 42 journalists after coup: TV
- How Africans collaborate with wild birds to get honey
- P-Notes investment hit 2-year low of Rs 2.10 lakh crore in June-end
- This is how Arvind Kejriwal reacted after Navjot Singh Sidhu revealed why he quit Rajya Sabha
- ITC appoints Sanjiv Puri as COO