Jaya clears decks for Desika Vinayakam Pillai statue
Chennai: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday sanctioned Rs 10.80 lakh for installing a statue of emninent Tamil poet Kavimani Desika Vinayakam Pillai.
Jayalalithaa had informed the Assembly in May 2012 that a statue of the poet will be installed at Suseenthiram in Kanyakumari District.
According to a state government release today, the poet had strived for bringing Tamil-speaking areas of Travancore province under Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, she allocated Rs 25 lakh towards the renovation of the Kamaraj memorial here besides granting Rs 99 lakh for MGR Government Film and Television Training Institute towards renovation and procuring modern equipment, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arun Jaitley's non-participation in SAARC won't matter, says Pak minister — Know what he said
- Live cricket score, live streaming: 2nd ODI - England v Pakistan at Lord's
- Acute Zika infection may damage sensory nerves
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail