Jaya constitutes working group to oversee bypoll preparations
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Friday constituted a 43-member working group, which included almost the entire state cabinet, to oversee preparations for the June 12 by election to the Pudukottai Assembly seat.
Several ministers as well as leaders of party`s various frontal organisations have been entrusted with the task of ensuring the victory of party nominee VR Karthik Thondaiman, Pudukottai Municipal Chairman, in the bypoll.
Hailing from the Thondaiman family, which ruled the erstwhile Pudukottai princely state, 42-year-old Karthik is the district MGR Youth Wing leader.
Bypoll to the constituency has been necessitated following the death of CPI legislator SP Muthukumaran in a road mishap on April one.
CPI and PMK have already decided not to contest the by election.
In the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections, Muthukumaran of CPI in the AIADMK-led alliance defeated DMK candidate Periyannan Arasu but AIADMK and CPI parted ways for the civic polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof