Jaya constitutes working group to oversee bypoll preparations
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa on Friday constituted a 43-member working group, which included almost the entire state cabinet, to oversee preparations for the June 12 by election to the Pudukottai Assembly seat.
Several ministers as well as leaders of party`s various frontal organisations have been entrusted with the task of ensuring the victory of party nominee VR Karthik Thondaiman, Pudukottai Municipal Chairman, in the bypoll.
Hailing from the Thondaiman family, which ruled the erstwhile Pudukottai princely state, 42-year-old Karthik is the district MGR Youth Wing leader.
Bypoll to the constituency has been necessitated following the death of CPI legislator SP Muthukumaran in a road mishap on April one.
CPI and PMK have already decided not to contest the by election.
In the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections, Muthukumaran of CPI in the AIADMK-led alliance defeated DMK candidate Periyannan Arasu but AIADMK and CPI parted ways for the civic polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say