Jaya defends milk price, bus fare hike
Chennai: Defending the increase of milk prices
and bus fares as a `painful` decision taken by her government,
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday slammed
opposition parties, including her erstwhile allies, for
criticising it out of `political reasons`.
Jayalalithaa also came down on her archrival and DMK chief
M Karunanidhi for flaying the state Cabinet decision, saying
he was "shedding crocodile tears" and people were aware of it.
Various political parties including DMK, actor-politician
Vijaykant`s DMDK and Left parties have criticised the steep
increase in the prices of milk sold by state-owned Aavin and
bus fare announced by Jayalalithaa.
In a statement here, she said her Cabinet on November 17
took `the painful decision` to increase the prices to save the
PSUs -- Aavin and state transport corporations, left in `bad
health` by the previous DMK government.
"We were forced to hike prices as we had no other choice.
People should realise this and not give into the statements
(by opposition leaders)," she said requesting their
Jayalalithaa dismissed as a `bag of lies` Karunanidhi`s
statement that despite officials` request, he had not allowed
hiking the prices of milk and bus fares. "He is only
pretending to speak for the people. They are aware of his
crocodile tears," she added.
Taking a dig at DMDK and the Left parties, which had
contested the April Assembly polls in alliance with AIADMK but
parted ways ahead of last month`s civic polls, Jayalalithaa
accused their leaders of adopting `double standards` saying
they had earlier expressed concern over the state of the PSUs.
Prior to the Assembly polls, these parties had conveyed to
her their concern over DMK`s administrative `mismanagement`
and other issues affecting people."They had said only I can
fix these issues by virtue of bold, tough measures," she said.
"Let their conscience decide if it is right for them to
issue statements condemning the hike now," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram