Jaya defends milk price, bus fare hike
Chennai: Defending the increase of milk prices
and bus fares as a `painful` decision taken by her government,
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday slammed
opposition parties, including her erstwhile allies, for
criticising it out of `political reasons`.
Jayalalithaa also came down on her archrival and DMK chief
M Karunanidhi for flaying the state Cabinet decision, saying
he was "shedding crocodile tears" and people were aware of it.
Various political parties including DMK, actor-politician
Vijaykant`s DMDK and Left parties have criticised the steep
increase in the prices of milk sold by state-owned Aavin and
bus fare announced by Jayalalithaa.
In a statement here, she said her Cabinet on November 17
took `the painful decision` to increase the prices to save the
PSUs -- Aavin and state transport corporations, left in `bad
health` by the previous DMK government.
"We were forced to hike prices as we had no other choice.
People should realise this and not give into the statements
(by opposition leaders)," she said requesting their
Jayalalithaa dismissed as a `bag of lies` Karunanidhi`s
statement that despite officials` request, he had not allowed
hiking the prices of milk and bus fares. "He is only
pretending to speak for the people. They are aware of his
crocodile tears," she added.
Taking a dig at DMDK and the Left parties, which had
contested the April Assembly polls in alliance with AIADMK but
parted ways ahead of last month`s civic polls, Jayalalithaa
accused their leaders of adopting `double standards` saying
they had earlier expressed concern over the state of the PSUs.
Prior to the Assembly polls, these parties had conveyed to
her their concern over DMK`s administrative `mismanagement`
and other issues affecting people."They had said only I can
fix these issues by virtue of bold, tough measures," she said.
"Let their conscience decide if it is right for them to
issue statements condemning the hike now," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview