Jaya defends milk price, bus fare hike
Chennai: Defending the increase of milk prices
and bus fares as a `painful` decision taken by her government,
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday slammed
opposition parties, including her erstwhile allies, for
criticising it out of `political reasons`.
Jayalalithaa also came down on her archrival and DMK chief
M Karunanidhi for flaying the state Cabinet decision, saying
he was "shedding crocodile tears" and people were aware of it.
Various political parties including DMK, actor-politician
Vijaykant`s DMDK and Left parties have criticised the steep
increase in the prices of milk sold by state-owned Aavin and
bus fare announced by Jayalalithaa.
In a statement here, she said her Cabinet on November 17
took `the painful decision` to increase the prices to save the
PSUs -- Aavin and state transport corporations, left in `bad
health` by the previous DMK government.
"We were forced to hike prices as we had no other choice.
People should realise this and not give into the statements
(by opposition leaders)," she said requesting their
Jayalalithaa dismissed as a `bag of lies` Karunanidhi`s
statement that despite officials` request, he had not allowed
hiking the prices of milk and bus fares. "He is only
pretending to speak for the people. They are aware of his
crocodile tears," she added.
Taking a dig at DMDK and the Left parties, which had
contested the April Assembly polls in alliance with AIADMK but
parted ways ahead of last month`s civic polls, Jayalalithaa
accused their leaders of adopting `double standards` saying
they had earlier expressed concern over the state of the PSUs.
Prior to the Assembly polls, these parties had conveyed to
her their concern over DMK`s administrative `mismanagement`
and other issues affecting people."They had said only I can
fix these issues by virtue of bold, tough measures," she said.
"Let their conscience decide if it is right for them to
issue statements condemning the hike now," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record