Jaya demands Rs 2500 per ton procurement price for sugarcane
Chennai: AIADMK Chief Jayalalithaa on Saturday
demanded that the Tamil Nadu government announce a minimum of
Rs 2,500 per tonne as the procurement price for sugarcane.
"State government should immediately fix Rs 2,500 per
tonne of sugarcane as procurement price against the announced
rate of Rs 1,437," she said during her party`s demonstration
in Villupuram district to highlight the problems faced by
sugarcane farmers in the state.
Claiming that the procurement price for sugarcane in
other states was much higher than Tamil Nadu, she said "In
2005-06 sugar production in the state was 21.38 lakh tons
while in 2008-09 production came down to 16.16 lakh tons. This
figure shows the situation of sugarcane farmers in the state."
Recalling her party`s objection to the Centre directing
state governments not to fix the advisory price, she said it
was the state government`s duty to fix the advisory price to
ensure continuous cultivation of sugarcane in Tamil Nadu.
"Otherwise, there will not be any cultivation of sugar in
the region and the state will be in a situation to import huge
amount of sugar, which will also result in increase in sugar
price," she said.
Stating that during her tenure, the procurement price was
fixed at Rs 1,014 per tonne when the sugar price was Rs 1,250
per quintal. "Currently when it touched Rs 4,000 per quintal,
the procurement price is only Rs 1,437."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country