Jaya demands Rs 2500 per ton procurement price for sugarcane
Chennai: AIADMK Chief Jayalalithaa on Saturday
demanded that the Tamil Nadu government announce a minimum of
Rs 2,500 per tonne as the procurement price for sugarcane.
"State government should immediately fix Rs 2,500 per
tonne of sugarcane as procurement price against the announced
rate of Rs 1,437," she said during her party`s demonstration
in Villupuram district to highlight the problems faced by
sugarcane farmers in the state.
Claiming that the procurement price for sugarcane in
other states was much higher than Tamil Nadu, she said "In
2005-06 sugar production in the state was 21.38 lakh tons
while in 2008-09 production came down to 16.16 lakh tons. This
figure shows the situation of sugarcane farmers in the state."
Recalling her party`s objection to the Centre directing
state governments not to fix the advisory price, she said it
was the state government`s duty to fix the advisory price to
ensure continuous cultivation of sugarcane in Tamil Nadu.
"Otherwise, there will not be any cultivation of sugar in
the region and the state will be in a situation to import huge
amount of sugar, which will also result in increase in sugar
price," she said.
Stating that during her tenure, the procurement price was
fixed at Rs 1,014 per tonne when the sugar price was Rs 1,250
per quintal. "Currently when it touched Rs 4,000 per quintal,
the procurement price is only Rs 1,437."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened