Jaya demands Rs 2500 per ton procurement price for sugarcane
Chennai: AIADMK Chief Jayalalithaa on Saturday
demanded that the Tamil Nadu government announce a minimum of
Rs 2,500 per tonne as the procurement price for sugarcane.
"State government should immediately fix Rs 2,500 per
tonne of sugarcane as procurement price against the announced
rate of Rs 1,437," she said during her party`s demonstration
in Villupuram district to highlight the problems faced by
sugarcane farmers in the state.
Claiming that the procurement price for sugarcane in
other states was much higher than Tamil Nadu, she said "In
2005-06 sugar production in the state was 21.38 lakh tons
while in 2008-09 production came down to 16.16 lakh tons. This
figure shows the situation of sugarcane farmers in the state."
Recalling her party`s objection to the Centre directing
state governments not to fix the advisory price, she said it
was the state government`s duty to fix the advisory price to
ensure continuous cultivation of sugarcane in Tamil Nadu.
"Otherwise, there will not be any cultivation of sugar in
the region and the state will be in a situation to import huge
amount of sugar, which will also result in increase in sugar
price," she said.
Stating that during her tenure, the procurement price was
fixed at Rs 1,014 per tonne when the sugar price was Rs 1,250
per quintal. "Currently when it touched Rs 4,000 per quintal,
the procurement price is only Rs 1,437."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?