Jaya for interlinking of rivers, questions DMK`s stand
Virudhunagar: Batting for interlinking of rivers, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday took a dig at archrival DMK for including it in poll manifesto and asked why it remained silent when Congress leader Rahul Gandhi opposed the proposal in 2009 though the two were allies.
Addressing an election rally in support of AIADMK`s Virudhunagar candidate D Radhakrishnan, she said that river interlinking was a "dream" of famous poet and freedom fighter Subramanya Bharathi and "AIADMK is determined in implementing it."
She said DMK had also made the promise in its various poll manifestos, including for the April 24 Lok Sabha polls.
"The whole world knows Karunanidhi is worried only about linking his family, not about river interlinking," she said sarcastically.
She alleged Karunanidhi had made the bare minimum effort to implement it since Congress-led UPA was not in favour of the proposal.
Recalling Gandhi`s opposition, she said he said river interlinking was "dangerous" and would have "severe" environmental implications.
"Did DMK show any opposition to this remark? Did it press the Congress government for withdrawal of the opinion? Did it say it will withdraw support (on this issue) or release a statement condemning the Centre? Did the (then DMK) government (in 2009) at least write to the Centre? DMK did none of these," she said.
Nobody was ready to believe DMK on its promise of interlinking of rivers as it had done nothing in the last 17 years on this issue, she said.
In its election manifesto for the April 24 LS polls, DMK had promised to link river Ganga with those running in South India like Krishna, Cauvery, Pennar, Vaigai, Tamirabarani and Neyyar to meet the all-round drinking water needs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars