Jaya govt launches three varieties of low-cost salt
Chennai: Rolling out yet another pro-poor measure, the Jayalalitha government today launched three varieties of low-cost salt, named after the Chief Minister herself.
Jayalalitha launched `Amma Salt` at the Secretariat here, which follows up her government`s earlier initiatives like the subsidized `Amma` Canteens and `Amma` Mineral Water.
Jayalalitha is addressed as `Amma` (Mother) by her supporters. She launched three varieties--Double Fortified, Low Sodium and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt-- under the `Amma` Salt banner.
`Amma Salt`, an initiative of the Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation, will now be available in the open market at prices lesser than those of private producers.
A state government release here said rates of salt by private producers in open market were Rs 25, Rs 21, and Rs 14 for Low Sodium, Double Fortified and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt, respectively.
The government will sell the same varieties of `Amma Salt` at Rs 21, Rs 14 and Rs 10, it added.
The ruling AIADMK`s other freebies include rice, mixer-grinder and fans and milch animals for respective beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites