Jaya govt launches three varieties of low-cost salt
Chennai: Rolling out yet another pro-poor measure, the Jayalalitha government today launched three varieties of low-cost salt, named after the Chief Minister herself.
Jayalalitha launched `Amma Salt` at the Secretariat here, which follows up her government`s earlier initiatives like the subsidized `Amma` Canteens and `Amma` Mineral Water.
Jayalalitha is addressed as `Amma` (Mother) by her supporters. She launched three varieties--Double Fortified, Low Sodium and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt-- under the `Amma` Salt banner.
`Amma Salt`, an initiative of the Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation, will now be available in the open market at prices lesser than those of private producers.
A state government release here said rates of salt by private producers in open market were Rs 25, Rs 21, and Rs 14 for Low Sodium, Double Fortified and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt, respectively.
The government will sell the same varieties of `Amma Salt` at Rs 21, Rs 14 and Rs 10, it added.
The ruling AIADMK`s other freebies include rice, mixer-grinder and fans and milch animals for respective beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!