Jaya govt launches three varieties of low-cost salt
Chennai: Rolling out yet another pro-poor measure, the Jayalalitha government today launched three varieties of low-cost salt, named after the Chief Minister herself.
Jayalalitha launched `Amma Salt` at the Secretariat here, which follows up her government`s earlier initiatives like the subsidized `Amma` Canteens and `Amma` Mineral Water.
Jayalalitha is addressed as `Amma` (Mother) by her supporters. She launched three varieties--Double Fortified, Low Sodium and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt-- under the `Amma` Salt banner.
`Amma Salt`, an initiative of the Tamil Nadu Salt Corporation, will now be available in the open market at prices lesser than those of private producers.
A state government release here said rates of salt by private producers in open market were Rs 25, Rs 21, and Rs 14 for Low Sodium, Double Fortified and Refined Free Flow Iodized Salt, respectively.
The government will sell the same varieties of `Amma Salt` at Rs 21, Rs 14 and Rs 10, it added.
The ruling AIADMK`s other freebies include rice, mixer-grinder and fans and milch animals for respective beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?