Jaya had opposed to satellite city in 2006: Karuna
Chennai: With the ruling AIADMK government in Tamil Nadu proposing to set up a satellite city near Chennai, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday said his government had initiated a similar effort in 2006 but Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, then Opposition Leader, had slammed the move.
Writing in the DMK mouthpiece `Murasoli,` Karunanidhi said his government had in 2006 proposed to develop a satellite city and had selected 30,000 acres near Vandalur-Kelambakkam for this purpose which was planned in a way to ensure there was no displacement of people already residing there.
Recalling Jayalalithaa`s statement on September 1, 2006, Karunanidhi said she had slammed the then DMK government`s move alleging it was being done to benefit Karunanidhi`s grandnephews, the Maran brothers, among others.
He said the site near Vandalur-Kelambakkam was selected after his government`s earlier proposal to implement a similar plan near the same Thirumazhisai area where Jayalalithaa has now proposed to develop the satellite city on 311 acres, was
met with stiff resistance from local residents and farmers.
"It had been proposed to acquire 1695 acres before the locals protested. So we decided not to acquire wetlands and others," he said.
AIADMK`s ally, the CPI (M) and PMK, had then flayed her for opposing the satellite city but had lauded the proposal when she announced it in the Assembly last week, he said.
"Had Jayalalithaa not opposed the proposal then, a satellite city would also have come up and Chennai`s congestion also reduced.The fact that CPI (M) and PMK have supported the present proposal only shows they adopt different yardsticks,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!