Jaya hands over houses to tsunami-hit
Chennai: As part of government efforts to
provide houses to the tsunami hit, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa on Tuesday handed over 8,251 houses constructed at a
cost of Rs 303 crore, to beneficiaries in 11 coastal districts
that were affected by the 2004 calamity.
Jayalalithaa handed over the houses through
video-conferencing from the Secretariat, an official
release here said.
Chief Jayalalithaa had drawn up the Emergency Tsunami
Rehabilitation Scheme in 2005.It was envisaged that 14,364
houses would be built for 444 villages of 11 coastal districts
that were severely affected by tsunami on December 26, 2004.
In the first phase it was decided to construct 8,251 houses at
a cost of Rs 303 crore supported by World Bank.
Cost of construction of an house measuring 325 square foot
was Rs 3.75 lakh, it said, adding, each one was insured for
State Minister for Municipal Administration and Rural
Development K P Munusamy, Chief Secretary Debendranath Sarangi
and senior government officials participated in the function,
the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins