Jaya juggernaut decimates DMK in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: With her party AIADMK pounding the corruption-tainted DMK in Tamil Nadu in a manner not predicted even by pundits, J Jayalalithaa is all set to form the next government in the southern state.
The results available for the 234-member Assembly indicate that the DMK led by M Karunanidhi has lost the poll battle in Tamil Nadu. Kalaingar’s party coalition managed to win only 31 seats, while Jayalalithaa and allies snatched 201 seats.
DMK has so far won in 23 seats and AIADMK has won 150.
Conceding defeat Chief Minister M Karunanidhi resigned.
Handed down one of the worst poll
debacles, DMK President M Karunanidhi
said on Saturday that the people of Tamil Nadu had given him `proper rest,`
indicating the burden of office was removed from his ageing
`People have given me proper rest,` the 87-year-old leader
said in his first reaction to the DMK`s dismal show in recent
Karunanidhi`s typical cryptic remarks came as no surprise
in political circles as succession wars have come to haunt the
DMK`s first family for the past few years, with both his sons,
MK Alagiri and MK Stalin staking claim to be his political
A writer, Karunanidhi had expressed willingness to quit
active politics and dedicate more time to his favourite
pastime but had refrained from speaking about it in recent
Karunanidhi, who won with a huge margin of over 50,000
votes from Tiruvarur, said he congratulated the people of the
state (on the outcome).
This legislative term could well be the swan song for the
ageing patriarch of DMK considering his old age.
Karunanidhi, one of the founders of the DMK, a splinter
group of parent organisation of EVR Periyar-founded Dravidar
Kazhagam, first represented Kulithalai constituency in 1956.
Since then, the octogenarian leader has had an unbeaten
record and has now won for a record 12th time though his
aspirations of being at the helm for a record sixth time
As trends started trickling in, the AIADMK workers went into celebratory mood gathering in front of their party supremo`s Poes Garden`s residence here with women dancing and volunteers bursting crackers.
The assembly polls in Tamil Nadu were held against the backdrop of the 2G spectrum scam. Former Telecom Minister A Raja, a trusted lieutenant of Karunanidhi is the prime accused of the scam. Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi is chargedsheeted in the case.
Around 78 percent of the 47 million voters of the state exercised their franchise to decide the fate of 2,748 contestants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant