Jaya, Karuna raise pitch against training to Lankan personnel
Chennai: Political parties in Tamil Nadu today raised the pitch against the government imparting training to Sri Lankan military personnel with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa terming the move as "callous and adamant" and UPA ally DMK asking the Centre not to hurt Tamil sentiments.
Jayalalithaa and her bitter rival DMK President M Karunanidhi and other parties kicked up a storm objecting to the presence of two Sri Lankan defence personnel at the Defence Service Staff College in Wellington, Coonoor in Tamil Nadu`s Nilgiri district.
The AIADMK supremo shot off a strongly-worded letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stating that the people of the state were "frustrated and outraged" with the Centre over its persistence to train the Sri Lankan personnel.
"The people of Tamil Nadu are frustrated and outraged by this callous and adamant attitude of the government of India in persistently giving training to personnel belonging to the Sri Lankan Armed Forces in India," she said in her third letter in recent days on the issue of training Lankan defence personnel.
Joining the chorus, Karunanidhi said "It is unacceptable that at a time when the Lankan Armed Forces are (accused of) attacking the Tamils, it is not proper for them to be trained in India. The Centre should desist from repeatedly doing such acts and thereby not hurt the sentiments of Tamils."
The issue comes barely days after the Centre shifted eight Sri Lankan airmen, who were undergoing training at the IAF base here, to Bangalore after protests from Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi and parties, including Vaiko-led MDMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof