Jaya launches `Amma` canteens in nine corporations
Chennai: The low-cost tiffin centres, which have become popular among the poor people in the city, were on Sunday launched in nine other cities in Tamil Nadu by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Jayalalithaa launched the "Amma Unavagams" in Madurai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Salem, Tiruppur, Tuticorin, Vellore and Erode through video conferencing from the state secretariat, an official release said.
The nine corporations would have 10 canteens each.
She also launched the addition of new items such as `Pongal` for breakfast and curryleaf rice and lemon rice for lunch in the 200 canteens run in Chennai.
`Amma` canteens offer affordable breakfast and lunch for the welfare of daily wagers, auto and rickshaw drivers, vendors and other floating population in these corporations across the state.
First launched in Chennai offering idlies at Re one a piece and sambar and curd rices at Rs five and Rs three respectively, these canteens became an instant hit among the consumers, who pleaded for addition of new items in the menu.
Jayalalithaa had announced in the Assembly last month that more canteens would be opened in other corporations and new items would be included in the menu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs