Jaya launches housing scheme for policemen
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Friday launched an ambitious housing scheme for police personnel as part of her government`s resolve to provide dwelling units to all uniformed personnel.
Laying the foundation stone for construction of 2,673 multi-storeyed dwelling units under the first phase of "Own Your House" scheme at Melakottaiyoor in neighbouring Kancheepuram district, she said the scheme will ensure every uniformed personnel lived in their own house either during service or after retirement.
"My government has taken in principle decision to provide dwelling units to every police personnel," she said.
Of the 1,12,363 police personnel in the state, housing facililty had been provided to 50,424. In addition, 7,526 dwelling units were under construction, she said.
Jayalalithaa said that late Chief Minister and her political mentor M G Ramachandran had set up the Tamil Nadu Police Housing Corporation in 1981 which had constructed houses for police personnel.
"But after his death and change of government, it was wound up", she said adding it was revived by her after she came to power in 1991.
She said the "long-pending dream" of police personnel to own a house was on the verge of being realised as the Tamil Nadu Police Housing Corporation would construct the units for them at low cost without any profit motive.
In an apparent dig at the DMK, several of whose leaders are facing land grabbing cases, she said police profession was a "thankless job" as they received laurels from people whose land had been grabbed and the charge of "false case" by those who had usurped them.
Highlighting the important role played by police in maintaining peace, she said policing has become a difficult task in view of various factors, including growing population and resultant problems and economic imbalances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border