Jaya launches housing scheme for policemen
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Friday launched an ambitious housing scheme for police personnel as part of her government`s resolve to provide dwelling units to all uniformed personnel.
Laying the foundation stone for construction of 2,673 multi-storeyed dwelling units under the first phase of "Own Your House" scheme at Melakottaiyoor in neighbouring Kancheepuram district, she said the scheme will ensure every uniformed personnel lived in their own house either during service or after retirement.
"My government has taken in principle decision to provide dwelling units to every police personnel," she said.
Of the 1,12,363 police personnel in the state, housing facililty had been provided to 50,424. In addition, 7,526 dwelling units were under construction, she said.
Jayalalithaa said that late Chief Minister and her political mentor M G Ramachandran had set up the Tamil Nadu Police Housing Corporation in 1981 which had constructed houses for police personnel.
"But after his death and change of government, it was wound up", she said adding it was revived by her after she came to power in 1991.
She said the "long-pending dream" of police personnel to own a house was on the verge of being realised as the Tamil Nadu Police Housing Corporation would construct the units for them at low cost without any profit motive.
In an apparent dig at the DMK, several of whose leaders are facing land grabbing cases, she said police profession was a "thankless job" as they received laurels from people whose land had been grabbed and the charge of "false case" by those who had usurped them.
Highlighting the important role played by police in maintaining peace, she said policing has become a difficult task in view of various factors, including growing population and resultant problems and economic imbalances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins