Jaya opposes installing buoys on IMBL with Sri Lanka
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Tuesday termed as "inappropriate" the Centre`s proposal to conduct feasibility study on installing buoys on International Maritime Boundary Line as the state government has not accepted IMBL with Sri Lanka as a settled issue.
The proposal by Department of Boarder Management and Ministry of Home Affairs came up in the Inter-ministerial meeting on India-Sri Lankan Fishermen`s issues, she said, adding, her government has filed a case in the Supreme Court "challenging the constitutionality" of ceding Katchatheevu islet to Sri Lanka, she said in a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"The matter is still pending in the Supreme Court and will have a bearing on the location of the IMBL. Tamil Nadu government has not accepted the IMBL as a settled issue. Given that the issue is sub judice, it would neither be appropriate nor feasible to install buoys along the IMBL at this point of time", she said.
Jayalalithaa said that in her memorandum submitted to Modi during her meeting with him last month in New Delhi she had requested him to "retrieve" India`s sovereignty over Katchatheevu, which was "unconstitutionally" and "illegally" ceded to Sri Lanka under Indo-Sri Lankan agreements in 1974 and 1976.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official