Jaya opposes installing buoys on IMBL with Sri Lanka
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Tuesday termed as "inappropriate" the Centre`s proposal to conduct feasibility study on installing buoys on International Maritime Boundary Line as the state government has not accepted IMBL with Sri Lanka as a settled issue.
The proposal by Department of Boarder Management and Ministry of Home Affairs came up in the Inter-ministerial meeting on India-Sri Lankan Fishermen`s issues, she said, adding, her government has filed a case in the Supreme Court "challenging the constitutionality" of ceding Katchatheevu islet to Sri Lanka, she said in a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
"The matter is still pending in the Supreme Court and will have a bearing on the location of the IMBL. Tamil Nadu government has not accepted the IMBL as a settled issue. Given that the issue is sub judice, it would neither be appropriate nor feasible to install buoys along the IMBL at this point of time", she said.
Jayalalithaa said that in her memorandum submitted to Modi during her meeting with him last month in New Delhi she had requested him to "retrieve" India`s sovereignty over Katchatheevu, which was "unconstitutionally" and "illegally" ceded to Sri Lanka under Indo-Sri Lankan agreements in 1974 and 1976.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!