Jaya opposes Karnataka’s modernisation schemes in Cauvery basin
Cauvery tribunal`s final order, Tamil Nadu Government has asked the Centre to advise the upper riparian state not to proceed with any projects in the river basin till the Cauvery Management Board (CMB) was formed.
"It is shocking that Karnataka, in utter disregard of the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, is proceeding with new modernisation schemes in Cauvery basin," she said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the second this week on Cauvery related projects.
Referring to Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited`s advertisement calling for Expression of Interest for restoration and rejuvenation of river Arkavathy and modernisation of the Hemavathy canals, she said these were new schemes not contemplated in the tribunal`s final order.
She said it was "apprehended" that remodelling of the Hemavathy canals will result in increased drawal of water by Karnataka and expansion of their ayacut to an extent more than allocated by the tribunal`s order.
It would affect the river`s natural flow, consequently severely affecting irrigation interests of Tamil Nadu, she contended and demanded that Karnataka be not allowed to take up any new schemes in the basin till the formation of the CMB.
She said her repeated pleas with Singh to order the Water Resources Ministry to constitute the CMB and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee for ensuring effective implementation of the tribunal`s final order "have not been acted upon."
She reiterated that the immediate formation of the Cauvery Management Board is imperative to ensure that the final order of the tribunal "is not violated with impunity by Karnataka repeatedly."
"I also request you to form the Cauvery Management Board and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee immediately," she said in the letter, a copy of which was released to media today.
Jayalalithaa has earlier objected to Karnataka`s reported plan to construct a hydro power station at Mekedatu for which three dams across Cauvery were to be constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened