Jaya orders public hearing over GAIL pipeline row
Chennai: Extending her support to farmers up in arms against a gas pipeline project of the GAIL India Ltd, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday said no action should be taken against their interests.
She also announced three public hearings next month to ascertain the farmers` opinion after which an appropriate decision that would not affect farmers would be taken.
A section of farmers in seven western districts of the state are opposing laying of the 600-km Kochi-Salem-Bangalore Gas pipeline through their lands, saying it would affect farm operations.
Jayalalithaa said she held a consultative meeting today with her senior cabinet colleagues after it was brought to her notice that pipelines were being laid "contrary to farmers` wishes", in agricultural lands in villages of Coimbatore, Tirupur, Erode, Namakkal, Salem, Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri districts.
"I stressed in the meeting that no action should be taken against farmers` interests and it was important to know their opinion first," she said in a statement.
In line with a Madras High court directive, she directed that public hearings be held on March 08, 09 and 10 by Chief Secretary Sheela Balakrishnann, adding print advertisements will be released in this regard.
"I request farmers who could be affected by GAIL project to air their views without any fear. After hearing their opinions, another meeting will be chaired by me where appropriate decisions that will not affect farmers will be taken," she said.
A contempt petition has been filed by a farmers` association against the Tamil Nadu Government before Madras High Court for not implementing its order to convene a meeting to resolve the dispute over laying of pipelines.
Members of the petitioner association had prevented GAIL from laying the pipeline through their farm lands on the grounds that it would affect farming operations. Following this GAIL moved the high court for police protection, which was rejected in October last year.
However, the court had directed the state government to convene a meeting of district collectors, GAIL officials and land owners to arrive at a "workable solution" and facilitate laying of pipelines.
When the contempt plea came up for hearing yesterday, the government sought three weeks time following which the court ordered status quo till then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015