Jaya petitions PM for setting up Cauvery Management Board
Chennai: Seeking justice for farmers of Tamil Nadu facing agrarian "distress forced upon by a neighbouring state," Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday urged the Centre to immediately constitute the Cauvery Management Board and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee to alleviate their misery.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she recalled her two communications earlier this year to him on the issue and said the Centre "has not shown the necessary alacrity in constituting the above machinery for the implementation of the Final Order," of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal though it was published in the Union Gazette on February 19 last.
"Many lakhs of farmers of Tamil Nadu cannot be made to wait any longer for justice which has long been delayed to them as they face season after season of acute agrarian distress forced upon them by a neighbouring State," she said.
"To alleviate the misery of the farmers of Tamil Nadu, the Government of India should immediately take steps to operationalise the tribunal`s final order which has been Gazetted after a long delay of six years," Jaya demanded.
The Supreme Court, hearing an application by her government seeking a direction for constitution of the two bodies, had on May 10 recorded the submission of Additional Solicitor General that the follow up action pursuant to the gazette notification was "under active consideration" of the Centre, the Chief Minister said.
The Court had ordered constitution of a Supervisory Committee under the Chairmanship of the Union Water Resources Secretary to ensure the implementation of the final order of the tribunal till the CMB was set up.
This, Jayalalithaa said, "at best, is only an interim arrangement and the Supreme Court in its order had also categorically stated that this was a "pro term arrangement" made for the purpose of ensuring implementation of the tribunal`s final order.
She said that formation of the CMB and the CWRC as per the tribunal order would be the only lasting solution to end the "travails and tribulations of the farmers of Tamil Nadu in the Cauvery Delta."
Stating that constitution of the CMB and the CWRC cannot be delayed any further, she exhorted the Prime Minister to order the Ministry of Water Resources to constitute them immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH