Jaya petitions PM on Haj quota
Chennai: Complaining about "woefully inadequate," allotment of Haj quota to the state, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to enhance the number.
In a letter to Singh, she said the state Haj Committe had received 12,000 applications this year, but the central Haj Committee had allotted only 2,863 seats which was" woefully inadequate."
As per guidelines for Haj 2012, of these 2,863 seats, 1,146 will be apportioned for various reserved categories and about 1,717 dispensed for selection under the general category, leaving the rest of over 9,000 "disappointed," she said.
During Haj 2011, the Committee had initially allotted 3,049 seats against the receipt of over 10,000 applications from the state and after release of additional quota and government discretionary quota, 4,084 persons were able to perform the pilgrimage. But this year`s allocation of 2,863 was an "all time low," she said.
"I therefore, request your kind intervention to enhance the quota taking into account the sizeable Muslim population and the large number of applications received from Tamil Nadu for 2012," she said.
The Ministry of External Affairs may be requested to release a suitable additional number, so that a greater number of pilgrims from Tamil Nadu would be able to perform the Hajj pilgrimage, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video