Jaya presents Rs 5 lakh reward to Army Major
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday honoured Major Kartik Raja of 21 Assam Rifles for receiving country`s third highest peacetime gallantry award, the Shaurya Chakra, on the occasion of the 65th Independence Day.
Jayalalithaa presented a cheque of Rs five lakhs to Maj Raja, who received the award from President Pratibha Patil last month.
Maj Raja, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was conferred with the award for eliminating five terrorists in Thoubal district of Manipur. The officer had led his team after receiving information on movement of eight to 10 terrorits and displayed immense courage while chasing the militants in difficult hilly terrains.
The Tamil Nadu Government had last year increased the reward from Rs 45,000 to Rs five lakh to those defence personnel from the state who were honoured for their meritorious services.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan