Jaya presents Rs 5 lakh reward to Army Major
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday honoured Major Kartik Raja of 21 Assam Rifles for receiving country`s third highest peacetime gallantry award, the Shaurya Chakra, on the occasion of the 65th Independence Day.
Jayalalithaa presented a cheque of Rs five lakhs to Maj Raja, who received the award from President Pratibha Patil last month.
Maj Raja, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was conferred with the award for eliminating five terrorists in Thoubal district of Manipur. The officer had led his team after receiving information on movement of eight to 10 terrorits and displayed immense courage while chasing the militants in difficult hilly terrains.
The Tamil Nadu Government had last year increased the reward from Rs 45,000 to Rs five lakh to those defence personnel from the state who were honoured for their meritorious services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days
- Piramal Enterprises to raise Rs 300 cr via non-convertible debentures
- Gold, silver hit a soft patch as global cues turn weak
- Nokia all set to make comeback with 2 new Android 7.0 Nougat devices