Jaya presents Rs 5 lakh reward to Army Major
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday honoured Major Kartik Raja of 21 Assam Rifles for receiving country`s third highest peacetime gallantry award, the Shaurya Chakra, on the occasion of the 65th Independence Day.
Jayalalithaa presented a cheque of Rs five lakhs to Maj Raja, who received the award from President Pratibha Patil last month.
Maj Raja, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was conferred with the award for eliminating five terrorists in Thoubal district of Manipur. The officer had led his team after receiving information on movement of eight to 10 terrorits and displayed immense courage while chasing the militants in difficult hilly terrains.
The Tamil Nadu Government had last year increased the reward from Rs 45,000 to Rs five lakh to those defence personnel from the state who were honoured for their meritorious services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Forget Freedom 251, here comes another smartphone at Rs 501
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!