Jaya presents Rs 5 lakh reward to Army Major
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday honoured Major Kartik Raja of 21 Assam Rifles for receiving country`s third highest peacetime gallantry award, the Shaurya Chakra, on the occasion of the 65th Independence Day.
Jayalalithaa presented a cheque of Rs five lakhs to Maj Raja, who received the award from President Pratibha Patil last month.
Maj Raja, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was conferred with the award for eliminating five terrorists in Thoubal district of Manipur. The officer had led his team after receiving information on movement of eight to 10 terrorits and displayed immense courage while chasing the militants in difficult hilly terrains.
The Tamil Nadu Government had last year increased the reward from Rs 45,000 to Rs five lakh to those defence personnel from the state who were honoured for their meritorious services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?