Jaya presents Rs 5 lakh reward to Army Major
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Wednesday honoured Major Kartik Raja of 21 Assam Rifles for receiving country`s third highest peacetime gallantry award, the Shaurya Chakra, on the occasion of the 65th Independence Day.
Jayalalithaa presented a cheque of Rs five lakhs to Maj Raja, who received the award from President Pratibha Patil last month.
Maj Raja, who belongs to Tamil Nadu, was conferred with the award for eliminating five terrorists in Thoubal district of Manipur. The officer had led his team after receiving information on movement of eight to 10 terrorits and displayed immense courage while chasing the militants in difficult hilly terrains.
The Tamil Nadu Government had last year increased the reward from Rs 45,000 to Rs five lakh to those defence personnel from the state who were honoured for their meritorious services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH