Jaya rebukes Karuna`s action on Katchatheevu island
Chennai: Lashing out at her arch rival and DMK president M Karunanidhi for moving the Supreme Court seeking retrieval of Katchatheevu island from Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday termed it as a "political opportunistic drama" to hood wink people of the state.
She accused Karunanidhi of doing little to prevent ceding of the island through a pact in 1974 by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi and slammed him for betraying fishermen from the state, who have been suffering at the hands of the Sri Lankan authorities while fishing.
"He seems to have taken this decision for political mileage fearing I would succeed in this case like getting the final award of the Cauvery Tribunal notified in a Central gazette", She said apparently pointing to her legal and political battle seeking annulling of the 1974 accord on Katchatheevu.
Jayalalithaa took a dig at DMK patriarch for seeking the help of Congress to ensure her daughter Kanimozhi`s victory in the recent Rajya Sabha election and dubbed it as "height of his selfishness".
"Karunanidhi did not take any step to stop ceding of the islet. He could have moved the court then citing the Berubari judgement by which the Supreme Court ruled against ceding of the area to east Pakistan. This was the first betrayal by Karunanidhi to fishermen of the state", she alleged in a strongly worded statement here.
Jayalalithaa accused that Karunanidhi committed "second betrayal" when his government failed to file a favourable response to her petition moved before the Supreme Court in 2008 seeking to declare the 1974 pact on Katchatheevu as illegal.
Slamming Karunanidhi, she accused him of "third betrayal" when he did nothing to pressurise the Centre to file a favourable response when the Union Government argued praying for dismissal of her petition.
"The time is not far off when the people of the state will teach him a lesson," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today