Jaya rebukes Karuna`s action on Katchatheevu island
Chennai: Lashing out at her arch rival and DMK president M Karunanidhi for moving the Supreme Court seeking retrieval of Katchatheevu island from Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday termed it as a "political opportunistic drama" to hood wink people of the state.
She accused Karunanidhi of doing little to prevent ceding of the island through a pact in 1974 by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi and slammed him for betraying fishermen from the state, who have been suffering at the hands of the Sri Lankan authorities while fishing.
"He seems to have taken this decision for political mileage fearing I would succeed in this case like getting the final award of the Cauvery Tribunal notified in a Central gazette", She said apparently pointing to her legal and political battle seeking annulling of the 1974 accord on Katchatheevu.
Jayalalithaa took a dig at DMK patriarch for seeking the help of Congress to ensure her daughter Kanimozhi`s victory in the recent Rajya Sabha election and dubbed it as "height of his selfishness".
"Karunanidhi did not take any step to stop ceding of the islet. He could have moved the court then citing the Berubari judgement by which the Supreme Court ruled against ceding of the area to east Pakistan. This was the first betrayal by Karunanidhi to fishermen of the state", she alleged in a strongly worded statement here.
Jayalalithaa accused that Karunanidhi committed "second betrayal" when his government failed to file a favourable response to her petition moved before the Supreme Court in 2008 seeking to declare the 1974 pact on Katchatheevu as illegal.
Slamming Karunanidhi, she accused him of "third betrayal" when he did nothing to pressurise the Centre to file a favourable response when the Union Government argued praying for dismissal of her petition.
"The time is not far off when the people of the state will teach him a lesson," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH