Jaya replies to 1,339 questions in assets case
Bangalore: Making her fourth appearance
before a special court here, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa today completed answering 1,339 questions framed
by the judge, contending that the disproportionate assets case
against her was "politically motivated" and "fabricated" at
the behest of her rival DMK.
Winding up her deposition before special judge B M
Mallikarjunaiah in the 15-year-old case, the 63-year-old
AIADMK supremo, who had responded to 580 questions yesterday,
fielded the remaining 192 today, taking the total number of
queries answered by her in four appearances to 1,339.
Jayalalithaa has been charged with accumulation of wealth
worth Rs 66 crore disproportionate to her known sources of
income when she was chief minister between 1991-96.
The trial was transferred from a Chennai court to
Bangalore in 2003 by the Supreme Court on a petition by DMK
General Secretary K Anbazhaga.
The chief minister recorded her statement in the closed
door hearing held at the high-security makeshift court hall at
Parapana Agrahara on the city outskirts, Special Public
Prosecutor B V Acharya told reporters after the more than
"With today`s deposition she has answered all the 1,339
questions which were framed by the court under section 313 of
CrPC (relating to recording of statement)," he said.
The AIADMK supremo had appeared before the court on
October 20 and 21 when she replied to about 571 questions.
She deposed in the court yesterday for the third time
after Supreme Court rejected her plea for exemption from
Jayalalithaa had said that she did not want to
inconvenience the people of Bangalore and so wanted permission
to answer questions in writing. On November 4, the apex court
had turned down her appeal, but said she should be given a
date of her choice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured