Jaya seeks immediate release of TN Fishermen
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s intervention to secure immediate release of 80 fishermen detained illegally by the Sri Lankan Navy.
She expressed distress over the recent arrest of 20 fishermen and seizure of five mechanised boats on November 21, World Fisheries Day, while they were fishing in their traditional waters of Palk Bay.
In a letter to Singh, she insisted that India use highest diplomatic channels to secure release of 80 fishermen and 47 fishing boats detained by the Sri Lankan authorities at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident
- Despite tough training, we'll continue our Ramadan fast: Misbah-ul-Haq tells Mickey Arthur
- Shah Rukh, Ranbir, Abhishek and Amitabh clicked together at Pro Kabaddi League! Pics inside