Jaya seeks immediate release of TN Fishermen
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s intervention to secure immediate release of 80 fishermen detained illegally by the Sri Lankan Navy.
She expressed distress over the recent arrest of 20 fishermen and seizure of five mechanised boats on November 21, World Fisheries Day, while they were fishing in their traditional waters of Palk Bay.
In a letter to Singh, she insisted that India use highest diplomatic channels to secure release of 80 fishermen and 47 fishing boats detained by the Sri Lankan authorities at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray