Jaya slams Centre for reducing allocation to Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday hit out at the Centre`s economic policies and reduction in allocation to the state by 20 per cent in the Union Budget.
She slammed the Centre`s move to introduce GST and termed it as an attempt to lay hand on commercial tax resources, which form the major portion of revenue to states.
Intervening during the debate on supplementary estimates in the state Assembly, Jayalalithaa said, "even if the Centre enacted the GST bill, it will not last long as there would be a "regime change" at New Delhi next year after the election. We will throw away that Bill".
She pointed out to some of the pro-poor welfare schemes implemented by her government including Amma Canteens, which offer food items at subsidised rates and vegetables at lower prices through farm fresh outlets in a move to tame inflation and help people.
"After making allocations in the Union Budget, the Centre has reduced 20 per cent of the allocations set apart for Tamil Nadu," she charged and accused the Centre of not acting with responsibility.
Wondering what the states could do after spending money and planning its own expenditure based on Centre`s allocation of funds under several heads, the Chief Minister said the Centre`s budgetary allocations should have credibility.
"Based on such allocations and in the hope that the state would be reimbursed by the Centre, expenditure is being made. But, the Centre has cut 20 per cent of allocations. We are fighting several problems like this", she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case