Jaya slams DMK for power tariff hike
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Monday slammed the ruling DMK for increasing the power tariff and said the hike would put more burden on the poor and middle class people, especially those who were living in the cities, already suffering from the spiralling prices.`
As the people were already affected by the increase in prices of essential commodities and petroleum products, the power tariff hike would be an additional burden, she said in a
Urging the State Government to immediately rollback the power hike,she said on the whole the move would pave the way for a further increase in the price of all goods.
People in cities were forced to use lights and fans round the clock since most houses were cramped and did not have natural light and ventilation, she said. Most of the houses can
easily consume 300 units of power per month, she said.
She also claimed that the power hike would also make private educational institutions increase their fee structure for students.
The Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission had on Saturday last effected the hike ranging between 30 paise and Rs 1.10 per unit for domestic and industrial consumers. It is expected to bring the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board an additional revenue of Rs 1,651 crore, which is facing Rs 6,451 crore deficit in the current fiscal.
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi had said power tariff was increased after seven years and would not affect a large section of the population as claimed by some parties.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under migrant deal
- Ravi Rampaul reveals shocking reason for not being picked in West Indian team
- IPL 2016, Match 31: GL vs DD - As it happened...
- Jacqueline Fernandez keeps mystery alive on her relationship status
- Mamata Banerjee trying to influence polls with police help: CPI-M