Jaya slams DMK for power tariff hike
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Monday slammed the ruling DMK for increasing the power tariff and said the hike would put more burden on the poor and middle class people, especially those who were living in the cities, already suffering from the spiralling prices.`
As the people were already affected by the increase in prices of essential commodities and petroleum products, the power tariff hike would be an additional burden, she said in a
Urging the State Government to immediately rollback the power hike,she said on the whole the move would pave the way for a further increase in the price of all goods.
People in cities were forced to use lights and fans round the clock since most houses were cramped and did not have natural light and ventilation, she said. Most of the houses can
easily consume 300 units of power per month, she said.
She also claimed that the power hike would also make private educational institutions increase their fee structure for students.
The Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission had on Saturday last effected the hike ranging between 30 paise and Rs 1.10 per unit for domestic and industrial consumers. It is expected to bring the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board an additional revenue of Rs 1,651 crore, which is facing Rs 6,451 crore deficit in the current fiscal.
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi had said power tariff was increased after seven years and would not affect a large section of the population as claimed by some parties.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan