Jaya slams DMK for power tariff hike
Chennai: AIADMK General Secretary Jayalalithaa Monday slammed the ruling DMK for increasing the power tariff and said the hike would put more burden on the poor and middle class people, especially those who were living in the cities, already suffering from the spiralling prices.`
As the people were already affected by the increase in prices of essential commodities and petroleum products, the power tariff hike would be an additional burden, she said in a
Urging the State Government to immediately rollback the power hike,she said on the whole the move would pave the way for a further increase in the price of all goods.
People in cities were forced to use lights and fans round the clock since most houses were cramped and did not have natural light and ventilation, she said. Most of the houses can
easily consume 300 units of power per month, she said.
She also claimed that the power hike would also make private educational institutions increase their fee structure for students.
The Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission had on Saturday last effected the hike ranging between 30 paise and Rs 1.10 per unit for domestic and industrial consumers. It is expected to bring the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board an additional revenue of Rs 1,651 crore, which is facing Rs 6,451 crore deficit in the current fiscal.
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi had said power tariff was increased after seven years and would not affect a large section of the population as claimed by some parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore