Jaya terms dual pricing policy on diesel `short-sighted`
Chennai: In a sharp attack on the Centre`s dual pricing policy on diesel for bulk consumers, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Friday termed it as "ill-conceived" and "short-sighted" and demanded its withdrawal.
In a hard-hitting letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Chief Minister said she was "appalled at the callousness and deviousness of this shocking move that defies all logic" and accused the UPA government of paying only "lip service" to protecting the `aam aadmi`, but raining "one blow after another" on them.
She said the steep hike of Rs 11 per litre for bulk consumers under dual pricing policy would hit the state transport undertakings and she was aghast at the "callous attitude" of the Centre. This was "one of the many short-sighted measures" taken by the UPA government.
Noting that the "peculiar dual pricing policy" has landed bulk consumers like state transport undertakings (STUs) in a very precarious financial situation, she demanded withdrawal of this "ill-conceived, ill-timed decision which is totally inflationary, discriminatory and anti-poor".
In the case of Tamil Nadu, the STUs were forced to suffer an increased burden of Rs 750 crore in their fuel bill per annum, she said, adding, she was "appalled at the callousness and deviousness of this shocking move that defies all logic".
She charged the Centre with "perversely" allowing the super-rich owners of luxury cars, including high priced SUVs running on diesel, to continue to enjoy subsidy and pay almost Rs 10 less per litre than STUs that provide public transport.
It was neither feasible nor advisable to raise the bus fares to make up for the huge and sudden increase in the diesel price since it would be unbearable for the common people, she said, adding, it was equally the duty of the Centre to share the burden of subsidy to provide affordable public transportation facilities.
"The Central government cannot shirk its responsibility and pass on the burden of their own financial mismanagement to the States and impose untold hardship on the citizens", she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured