Jaya to stake claim to form government on Sunday
Chennai: Armed with the landslide mandate
in the Assembly polls, AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa will Sunday
call on Governor S S Barnala and formally stake her claim to
form the government in Tamil Nadu.
"I am meeting the Governor tomorrow (to stake claim
for forming the government)," she told reporters here a day
after AIADMK scripted a spectacular comeback securing an
absolute majority on its own with a tally of 150 seats in the
63-year old Jayalalithaa, set to become Chief Minister
for the third time, said details about her swearing-in
ceremony would be announced tomorrow after her meeting with
The AIADMK-led front comprising of DMDK and Left
parties besides others unseated DMK from power bagging 200
On the massive mandate, she said the people of the
state had reposed "enormous trust" and faith in the front and
her party would live up to their expectations fulfilling all
its electoral promises.
"It is not just a negative vote against DMK but a
decisive vote against DMK," she said commenting on the April
13 poll outcome which saw the DMK being relegated to the third
place with just 23 seats behind DMDK.
Faced with the poll rout, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi
had yesterday submitted the resignation of his Council of
Ministers to the Governor, who had asked him to continue in
office till alternative arrangements were made.
Jayalalithaa said people wanted to "return to the good
old days of her 2001-06 regime," which she claimed had
delivered good administration.
The AIADMK legislature party is likely to meet here
tomorrow to elect Jayalalithaa as its leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state