Jaya writes to PM on Cauvery issue
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Thursday requested the Centre to expedite steps for notification of the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said "the Counsels for all states, including Karnataka, brought to the notice of the Supreme Court (on December 5) the fact that the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal is yet to be notified by the Government of India, despite a statutory mandate."
The Supreme Court ordered the Counsel for the Government of India to seek instructions as to when the final order of the Tribunal would be notified, and report to the Court, she said.
"The Cauvery Monitoring Committee, in its 31st meeting on December 7, had categorically stated that the final order of the Tribunal will be notified at the earliest but not later than the end of this month (December 2012). Once the award is notified, the institutions like Cauvery Monitoring Committee and Cauvery River Authority shall cease to exist. New Organisations like the Cauvery Management Board and Cauvery Regulation Committee will be constituted," she said.
Jayalalithaa said the apex court had on December 10 taken on record the proceedings of the 31st meeting of CMC.
"In the circumstances, I request you to expedite the Notification of the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal and also to constitute the Cauvery Management Board forthwith so as to safeguard the livelihood of the farmers of Tamil Nadu," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...