Jaya writes to PM on Cauvery issue
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Thursday requested the Centre to expedite steps for notification of the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said "the Counsels for all states, including Karnataka, brought to the notice of the Supreme Court (on December 5) the fact that the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal is yet to be notified by the Government of India, despite a statutory mandate."
The Supreme Court ordered the Counsel for the Government of India to seek instructions as to when the final order of the Tribunal would be notified, and report to the Court, she said.
"The Cauvery Monitoring Committee, in its 31st meeting on December 7, had categorically stated that the final order of the Tribunal will be notified at the earliest but not later than the end of this month (December 2012). Once the award is notified, the institutions like Cauvery Monitoring Committee and Cauvery River Authority shall cease to exist. New Organisations like the Cauvery Management Board and Cauvery Regulation Committee will be constituted," she said.
Jayalalithaa said the apex court had on December 10 taken on record the proceedings of the 31st meeting of CMC.
"In the circumstances, I request you to expedite the Notification of the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal and also to constitute the Cauvery Management Board forthwith so as to safeguard the livelihood of the farmers of Tamil Nadu," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way