Jayalalithaa announces over Rs 1,000 cr road projects
Chennai: In a bid to ease traffic congestion, the Tamil Nadu government today proposed more than Rs 1,000 crore worth road infrastructure and related projects, including a 45 km elevated road on the busy IT Corridor here to nearby tourist town of Mahabalipuram.
Making a suo motu statement in the state Assembly, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said that Rs five crore had been allocated for preparing a Detailed Project Report for the proposed elevated highway.
The IT Corridor is dotted with software companies, educational institutions and growing number of multi-storeyed residential apartments which resulted in traffic congestion and therefore the said proposal has been mooted, she added.
Jayalalithaa also proposed 18 railway road-over-bridges (ROBs) in 11 districts at a cost of Rs 948.30 crore, besides sanctioning Rs 201.88 crore for the initial works.
At suburban Siruseri, which has an industrial park, the government will come up with a multi-level vehicle parking facility that will accommodate 2,000 vehicles and 50 buses and the project will be completed at an estimated cost of Rs 200 crore with private participation on a 4.9 acre land leased by Tamil Nadu Road Development Corporation.
Among others, the chief minister announced rural link roads and said all these efforts were aimed at easing traffic congestion in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata