Jayalalithaa announces over Rs 1,000 cr road projects
Chennai: In a bid to ease traffic congestion, the Tamil Nadu government today proposed more than Rs 1,000 crore worth road infrastructure and related projects, including a 45 km elevated road on the busy IT Corridor here to nearby tourist town of Mahabalipuram.
Making a suo motu statement in the state Assembly, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said that Rs five crore had been allocated for preparing a Detailed Project Report for the proposed elevated highway.
The IT Corridor is dotted with software companies, educational institutions and growing number of multi-storeyed residential apartments which resulted in traffic congestion and therefore the said proposal has been mooted, she added.
Jayalalithaa also proposed 18 railway road-over-bridges (ROBs) in 11 districts at a cost of Rs 948.30 crore, besides sanctioning Rs 201.88 crore for the initial works.
At suburban Siruseri, which has an industrial park, the government will come up with a multi-level vehicle parking facility that will accommodate 2,000 vehicles and 50 buses and the project will be completed at an estimated cost of Rs 200 crore with private participation on a 4.9 acre land leased by Tamil Nadu Road Development Corporation.
Among others, the chief minister announced rural link roads and said all these efforts were aimed at easing traffic congestion in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof