Jayalalithaa announces plan for Rs 100 crore statue
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Tuesday announced her government`s decision to install a mega statue of Tamil Thai (Mother Tamil) in Madurai at an outlay of Rs 100 crore.
Announcing this in the assembly, Jayalalithaa said: "The Tamil Thai statue will be built in a way that would showcase to the world the Tamil civilisation, culture, literary treasures and architectural prowess."
She said Tamil Thai park will have five types of lands - Kurunji (mountain land), Mullai (forest land), Marutham (cultivated land), Naithal (beach) and Palai (desert) - and plants mentioned in ancient Tamil literature.
The Tamil Thai statue will be the second mega statue in the state. In 2000, the 133-foot statue of poet Thiruvalluvar was installed on an island near Kanyakumari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town