Jayalalithaa announces protest against UPA govt
Chennai: Stepping up her attack on the UPA Government, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a state-wide protest by AIADMK in front of central government offices on January 24 over `denial` of the state`s rights and other issues including diesel price and railway fare hike.
The AIADMK chief announced the decision to hit the streets citing the delay in notifying the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal`s final award, denial of additional power to the state reeling under acute shortage and allocation of funds.
The protests, to be held by the labour wing of the party in district headquarters, was also against the Centre`s measures such as repeated increase in prices of petroleum products and railway fare which badly hit the poor people, she said in a statement here.
Jayalalithaa alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states.
She accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal`s final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for `selfish` motives.
Jayalalithaa, who spares no opportunity to target the UPA at the Centre, asked party cadres to register their protest against the "dictatorial alliance which is led by the Congress and includes DMK."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know