Jayalalithaa announces protest against UPA govt
Chennai: Stepping up her attack on the UPA Government, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a state-wide protest by AIADMK in front of central government offices on January 24 over `denial` of the state`s rights and other issues including diesel price and railway fare hike.
The AIADMK chief announced the decision to hit the streets citing the delay in notifying the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal`s final award, denial of additional power to the state reeling under acute shortage and allocation of funds.
The protests, to be held by the labour wing of the party in district headquarters, was also against the Centre`s measures such as repeated increase in prices of petroleum products and railway fare which badly hit the poor people, she said in a statement here.
Jayalalithaa alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states.
She accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal`s final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for `selfish` motives.
Jayalalithaa, who spares no opportunity to target the UPA at the Centre, asked party cadres to register their protest against the "dictatorial alliance which is led by the Congress and includes DMK."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs