Jayalalithaa announces Rs 2,325 crore road projects
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday announced road and bridge projects across the state involving an outlay of around Rs 2,325 crore.
Speaking in the Assembly, Jayalalithaa said her government is taking every effort to better the roads in the state.
She said highways passing through the expanded area of Chennai Corporation would be expanded and footpaths would be laid.
"The total cost for this will be Rs 1,033 crore. In the first phase, Rs 250 crore will be spent this year," she said.
Jayalalithaa said multi-lane bridges and subways would be built here at an outlay of around Rs 235 crore with an assistance from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
The government will also make the two lane Madurai ring road to four lanes at an outlay of Rs 200 crore.
A day after announcing setting up of an industrial estate in the backward Ramanathapuram district, Jayalalithaa said the 35 km state highway would be upgraded.
She said road maintenance contracts would be signed to upgrade and maintain the state highways and other important roads in Ramanathapuram and Krishnagiri districts.
Announcing plans to install escalators in Coimbatore and Karur, Jayalalithaa said Rs 400 crore would be spent this fiscal on upgrading the roads, traffic signals and others in various cities.
The chief minister also said 100 river bridges with Rs 300 crore loan from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) will be built.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata