Jayalalithaa announces Rs 30 lakh cash award for CWG TT winners
Chennai: Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a cash award of Rs 30 lakh each to the duo of Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj from Tamil Nadu for winning silver medal in the men`s doubles table tennis event of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
"You have done both the nation and state of Tamil Nadu proud by winning a Silver Medal in the Men`s doubles event of Table Tennis at the ongoing Commonwealth Games," she said in identical congratulatory letters to the duo, copies of which were released to the media here.
"Accept my heartiest congratulations on behalf of the people of Tamil Nadu for your splendid achievement," she added.
While this was the second medal amalraj (bronze in 2010 games at commonwealth) has won, it was the sixth ovwerall medal Kamal has won at the games.
"As you are aware, I had announced the enhancement of financial reward for sportspersons winning a Commonwealth Silver Medal to Rs.30 lakhs in December 2011. You will now be eligible to receive this cash incentive," she stold the winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III