Jayalalithaa announces Rs 30 lakh cash award for CWG TT winners
Chennai: Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a cash award of Rs 30 lakh each to the duo of Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj from Tamil Nadu for winning silver medal in the men`s doubles table tennis event of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
"You have done both the nation and state of Tamil Nadu proud by winning a Silver Medal in the Men`s doubles event of Table Tennis at the ongoing Commonwealth Games," she said in identical congratulatory letters to the duo, copies of which were released to the media here.
"Accept my heartiest congratulations on behalf of the people of Tamil Nadu for your splendid achievement," she added.
While this was the second medal amalraj (bronze in 2010 games at commonwealth) has won, it was the sixth ovwerall medal Kamal has won at the games.
"As you are aware, I had announced the enhancement of financial reward for sportspersons winning a Commonwealth Silver Medal to Rs.30 lakhs in December 2011. You will now be eligible to receive this cash incentive," she stold the winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters