Jayalalithaa announces Rs 30 lakh cash award for CWG TT winners
Chennai: Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a cash award of Rs 30 lakh each to the duo of Achanta Sharath Kamal and Anthony Amalraj from Tamil Nadu for winning silver medal in the men`s doubles table tennis event of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
"You have done both the nation and state of Tamil Nadu proud by winning a Silver Medal in the Men`s doubles event of Table Tennis at the ongoing Commonwealth Games," she said in identical congratulatory letters to the duo, copies of which were released to the media here.
"Accept my heartiest congratulations on behalf of the people of Tamil Nadu for your splendid achievement," she added.
While this was the second medal amalraj (bronze in 2010 games at commonwealth) has won, it was the sixth ovwerall medal Kamal has won at the games.
"As you are aware, I had announced the enhancement of financial reward for sportspersons winning a Commonwealth Silver Medal to Rs.30 lakhs in December 2011. You will now be eligible to receive this cash incentive," she stold the winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured