Jayalalithaa announces welfare measures of over Rs 1,000 cr
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government on Monday announced a series of welfare measures, including proposing new engineering colleges and drinking water projects, totally a cost of over Rs 1,000 crore.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced combined drinking water projects for Cuddalore and Puthukottai districts based on Kollidam river at a cost of over Rs 575 crore.
Similar projects were also announced for Theni, Dindigul, Tirunelveli, Kancheepuram and Chennai districts at an overall cost of over Rs 200 crore, a state government release said.
Further, new engineering colleges would come up in Dharmapuri and Tanjavur districts at a total cost of Rs 179.80 crore.
The Chief Minister approved an initial sum of Rs 14.10 crore towards each college, which will come up in Chettikarai and Chengipatti in the respective districts, it said.
Jayalalithaa also directed setting up 10 new polytechnic colleges, including in Madurai, Tiruchirappalli, Theni and Vellore districts at a proposed cost of Rs 138 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note